Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Prognosis or Sentence?

Yesterday at Ethan's pediatrician visit, the doctor told us that Ethan is developing fine, it is just that we have a sensitive baby.

Basically, sensitive in the sense that you can roll the colic, the acid reflux, and the protein digestion issue into one big ball and add a dash of being sensitive to everything else.

I really wanted to hear that the doctor had some "magical" pill to cure this sensitivity. Instead, of course, it just takes time.

"Time."

The doctor said that things should start improving after the first month (which is where we are at now) but I really believe he was just saying that to give us some kind of hope.

I was a colicky baby and I have no idea how I made it to my current age with the same family. I am surprised that my Mom didn't drop me off on the neighbor's doorstep or something. I am grateful that she didn't and this does give me hope that things will be better one day... but that is cold comfort right now. How in the world am I going to retain ANY shred of sanity that I have left when all he does is sleep and cry?

There is no routine or timeline to his crying. It isn't like I know he will always cry every night from 4p-8p or anything. He, like his mother, cries now whenever the mood catches him.

Well, the vacuum cleaner running trick isn't working anymore and Ethan is up and crying again. I guess that means that MY crying shift is over now that my replacement is awake!

How in the world did anyone else stay sane? Any tips or tricks to try to soothe the baby that has a hard time being soothed??

4 comments:

  1. I am so sorry you are going through this...I am sure you have tried these, but here goes anyway.

    1. Vibration (bouncy seat, setting him in his car seat on the dryer...)

    2. Noise machine (white noise, rain, water...)

    3. Alcohol (LOL...for you, not the baby)

    4. If someone offers to help...TAKE IT! I had such a hard time accepting that I needed help. I wanted to be able to do it all by myself. It's OK to need help.

    Hmmm...that's all I can think of right now. Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. talkin to my friend who is a grandma
    she said peppermint water dissolve a mint in a bottle in hot water and let get room temp

    wrap him in a blanket make sure it's tight around his middle and put him in a babyswing.

    she also just said make sure he's wrapped up in a blanket really warm and tight that sometimes works too.

    she also said colic usually only lasts about 6 weeks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I called my mother last night and told her that you have yourself a baby that cries!!! I told her that you think it is colic. She said the thing about running the vacuum cleaner, putting him on top of the washer or dryer while it is going, and I say wrap him up tight! That seems to work for many of the babies I work with. Sometimes even music that has a happy fun beat gets them quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckily for mom, her first daughter was a perfect child who never cried ;)

    ReplyDelete